24 January 2009

Updated 2009 NFL Mock Draft

The NFL Draft Site's Official 2009 NFL Mock Draft has just been updated and I think this is CJ's best work to date. He has included all the recent underclassmen that have declared for the 2009 NFL Draft and has also taken into account some performances during practice at the 2009 Senior Bowl.
It's real easy to pick apart a guys' mock draft and even legendary Draftnik Mel Kiper has drawn a lot of criticism for his latest Big Board where he has OT Michael Oher falling all the way to #25. I like Mel Kiper, I really do, over the years he has been by far the most accurate and consistent Draftnik. But either Kiper was drunk when he updated it or he knows something we don't, because I see Oher as a potential top five selection. For a far more comprehensive and accurate list of the 2009 NFL Prospects visit NFL Draft Dog's Big Board.
So back to CJ's Mock Draft, I am going to get the discussion started by commenting on a few of his selections.
At #3 I think Wake Forest LB Aaron Curry would be a fantastic selection and we all know the Chiefs needs linebackers, but they do need a better pass rush and Texas DE Brian Orakpo is still on the board, and a lot of people feel that WR Michael Crabtree is the best player in the draft. Then of course our friend Mel Kiper thinks they will draft USC Junior QB Mark Sanchez, who by the way I do not agree with. Sanchez is to inexperienced and risky in my opinion to be drafted that high.
CJ has Sanchez going at #10 to the San Francisco 49ers, which I don't agree with as I am not keen on Sanchez until the 2nd round, but that would be a better value, and I can't deny that quarterback (QB) is a need for the 49ers. I think defensive line is the bigger need for the 49ers.
USC LB Brian Cushing is being selected at #14 by the New Orleans Saints which I think would be a great selection. Cushing came to 2009 Senior Bowl in great shape and by all reports dominated. At 6' 4" 255 pounds, Cushing has an NFL caliber body and if he stays healthy could be in the running for defensive rookie of the year honors.
The selection by the Texans at #15 of Missouri sophomre WR Jeremy Maclin isn't bad at all, Pro Bowl WR Andre Johnson definately needs some help, but with Illinois junior CB Vontae Davis still on board it will be hard to pass on him. Last year the Texans tried to plug in Cowboys rejected Cornerback Jaques Reeves and it was a huge failure.
I am questioning the selection of Oklahoma TE Brandon Pettigrew by the Chargers at #16. Pettigrew is a beast, great hands, fast and a supreme blocker, but the Chargers have so many other holes to fill like offensive line, cornerback and outside linebacker and they do have a tight end on the roster that isn't half bad in Antonio Gates.
CJ must be drinking some Mel Kiper Cool-Aide or maybe he is just way smarter than me (which is highly likely) because he has Ole Miss OT Michael Oher falling all the way down to #20 to the Detroit Lions (Maybe he is a Lions fan). If this holds true the Lions would be ecstatic to get an elite tackle like Oher at that spot in the draft.
I can't see the eagles drafting Virginia LB Clint Sintim at #21 or even at all. Sintim played in a 34 defense at Virginia and has struggled a little adapting to the 43 defense at the 2009 Senior Bowl practices. I love Sintim and think he can still be a late first rounder, but he is a much better fit for a team that runs the 34 defense which the Eagles do not.
At #25 I think the proposed selection of Utah Junior Safety Sean Smith by the Dolphins is excellent. That pick is visionary and unique and I think the athletic, nicely sized (6' 3" 214 lbs)Smith will rise up the draft boards as we get closer to the draft. The current safeties of Yeremiah Bell and Renaldo Hill definately need to be upgraded.
I really like the Eagles pick at #28 of Arizona junior OT Eben Britton. Aging right tackle John Runyan will likely retire and left tackle Tra Thomas isn't what he used to be, he (Thomas) has clearly lost a step and Britton should be able to come in and start right away.
I also love the selection by the Cardinals of sophomore Pitt RB LeSean McCoy. RB Edgerrin James isn't what he used to be and I will be suprised if he is brought back next year. The Cards with yet another offensive weapon is a scary thing.
So those are a few of my thoughts, let me hear what you think.

No comments: