14 June 2009

A Look Back at the 2009 NFL Draft

I wrote an article about this time last year, before they even played a down in the 2008 college football season. I wrote it based off of their play the year before and how they looked in the spring.
During last years' pre-season I predicted that Centers would be the strength of the 2009 NFL Draft. The Centers did end up being very solid, with two being selected in the first round. California's Alex Mack was taken 21st overall by the Cleveland Browns and Louisville's Eric Wood was selected 28th by the Buffalo Bills.
Oregon's Max Unger was taken in the second round (49th) by the Seahawks, even though Unger will play guard or tackle for the Hawks in the NFL.
Alabama's Antoine Caldwell was selected in the 3rd round (77th) by the Houston Texans. Arkansas' Jonathan Luigs was selected in the 4th round (106) by the Bengals. And we also saw a pair of centers drafted back to to back in the 7th round in TCU's Blake Schlueter (225) to the Broncos and Penn State's A.Q. Shipley (226) to the Steelers.
So were centers the strongest position in the 2009 NFL Draft? Maybe not, with so many talented junior running backs playing well and declaring early, I would have to give the crown to them. But two centers being drafted in the first round is unheard of and Antoine Caldwell being selected in the 3rd round was a steal.
Of course we really won't know for a few years. The two, 7th round centers might end up as better players than the two first rounders, however I would bank on that. Alex Mack and Eric Wood look like future pro bowlers to me.
So what position will be the top draftdog for the 2010 NFL Draft. At this point it looks like defensive tackles to me. Stay tuned for my next article and I will go in detail on my prediction of the strengths of the 2010 NFL Draft.

If you like college football be sure to check out our 2009 pre-season college football All American Team.

By Robert Bryant

No comments: