18 April 2009

NFL Draft Dog's 2009 Mock Draft has been Updated

I just finished a massive update of NFL Draft Dog's 2009 NFL Mock Draft. Barring any more major trades I hope to make this update my final version.

One week before the draft the Eagles made a block buster trade with the Buffalo Bills for Pro Bowl left tackle Jason Peters and that trade caused a landslide of changes to my mock draft. The Eagles look set at tackle and the Bills, picking up an extra first round pick from the Eagles, will almost certainly use one of their first rounds picks on a possible starting offensive tackle.

Here a few other highlights to NFL Draft Dog's Mock Draft Update:

The first few picks didn't change much, but the Chiefs are reportedly shopping their 1st round pick (3rd overall). I doubt there will be any takers, but they (Chiefs) would love to move down and pick up extra picks.

Don't believe everything you hear this time of year from the NFL teams. The Lions would also like to move down, but I don't think anyone is that in love with Georgia QB Matt Stafford. It is a risky pick, but one the Lions have to make if they keep that #1 pick. Stafford give the Lions that franchise type signal caller that they haven't had since... Uhm, I don't think they have ever had one have they?

Probably controversial, I have the Saints taking RB Knowshom Moreno. They need help on defense, especialy at linebacker, but after RB Reggie Bush their cupboard is dry, plus Bush has been injury prone and Moreno is a fantastic value at #14. Need+value=decent pick in my book.

I still don't see a team in the top ten picking USC quarterback Mark Sanchez, the need just isn't that great and Sanchez doesn't carry a high enough grade in my opinion. I have the Jaguars passing on him with their #8 pick and instead taking Kansas State QB Josh Freeman in the second round. The 49ers might take him at #10, but more than likely I see him slipping down to the 17th slot (Jets).

The Bills will need an offensive tackle and will likely take either Michael Oher, Andre Smith or Eben Britton with their first pick. OTs Jason Smith and Eugene Monroe will likely already be gone by the time the bills get to make a selection.

The Vikings are always difficult to figure out, I see them taking WR Hakeem Nicks or one of the top offensive tackles or centers with their first pick at #22. They need help at right tackle in a big way.

I had difficulty "fittin in" Florida WR Percy Harvin in my latest Mock Draft. I have him falling down to the Ravens at #26, but honestly, I don't see him falling that far. Harvin is a top ten talent and there is little chance he falls past the middle of the first round. He is one of my favorite players in this draft and one of the few prospects that I would be tempted to trade up and get.

The Colts at #27 could go in a number of different ways, they really need a wide receiver and could take Hakeem Nicks, Darius Heyward-Bey or even Kenny Britt, but in my Mock Draft I had RB Chris (Beanie) Wells slipping a bit and there is little chance they would pass on him if he fell into their laps. Wells is rated higher than that, but I would still be nervous about his drive to play the game of football and his history of nagging injuries.

I also had difficulty placing Ohio State ILB James Laurinaitis, he is an excellent football player and holds solid value toward the bottom of round one, but there isn't a lot of teams that need help at inside linebacker and he didn't have the best workout at the 2009 NFL Scouting Combine. He slips into the second round to the Giants to replace Antonio Pierce. If that ends up as reality, the Giants will be getting great value in Laurinaitis in the 2nd round.

Speaking of second round. I made so may changes to the second round of my 2009 NFL Mock Draft that they are to numerous to list. Instead, check it out and tell me what you think. Go ahead and beat me up, I can take it, plus I really appreciate your feedback, your comments will help to make my next update better.

9 comments:

Robert Bryant said...

Todd McShay thinks Seattle will take QB Mark Sanchez. Do you guys think that is a probability?

Anonymous said...

There is no chance of Pittsburgh taking a WR at pick 32 in the draft. Throw another dart at player pool because that's the only way you came up with that pick.

Anonymous said...

Sanchez won't last til the 17th pick for the Jets

Anonymous said...

There is no chance that Jacksonville take Raji with their pick. Gene Smith will not take a player with character issues (i.e. positive drug test) Try again.

Anonymous said...

I disagree, I think the Steelers could take a WR at 32. Depends on the run for OL/DL. I would be estactic if we got Robiskie

Unknown said...

I'm a die hard Jet fan. I would LOVE to get sanchez at 17.. but are you serious? Do you really believe that hes gonna fall like that? I literally just heard espn call him an possible #2. The only way NY is gettin him is by trading way up. You might wanna re-work your final version bud.

Robert Bryant said...

The rumor about Raji failing a drug test were false. His character is fine and he is the best defensive tackle/nose guard in the nation hands down.

Robert Bryant said...

Don't believe everything you hear on ESPN folks. He (Sanchez) might go very early, but that doesn't mean he should.

Robert Bryant said...

Remember folks Todd McShay (ESPN) had been saying all along that the Lions wouldn't take Stafford. He just changed his pick, I have had Stafford going 1st since the pre-season!