05 May 2011

The NFL Draft Experience: 2011


By Larry McCammon (Chiefs' Writer)

3 May 2011

For the second straight year, I made my way to Radio City Music Hall in New York City, in efforts to catch the first 3 rounds of this year's NFL Draft. The journey was the same as last, yet the experience was brand new. My two brothers from Kansas City, Jake and Clay, accompanied me this time; so having company at my side created a newness to the moments I had already partaken in last year.

Again, tickets were free and were only available to those that were willing to wait in line for four hours- starting at 8:00 in the evening the day before the Draft started. As we approached the end of the line- already 100 deep when I arrived at 7:58pm- the chants and joshing began from fellow Chiefs' fans and all the other teams' followers. And as you meshed into the masses, and the hours passed, the 700 individual fans became a single living organism... all wanting something resembling football.

While in line, we were visited by television journalists from the NFL Network. Attempting to stand hidden as the camera crew approached our stakeout, I was pointed out by reporter Michelle Beisner as one of the few Chiefs' fans in line. The next thing I knew, I had a camera light and microphone invading what I thought was a clever concealment. I was asked if this was my first draft, replied that it was my second, and then she told me that NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell could be possibly make a stop by the line of dedicated fans this evening. She asked, "If you had an opportunity to make a statement to the Commissioner about the current labor issue, what would you say to him?"

Well, that didn't put me on the spot at all. As I tried to gather my thoughts and deliver a solid point, it felt like I was back in grade school trying to quickly spell the hardest word during the spelling contest. With my best manly voice I stated, "I would tell him that the players deliver a great product on the field to the fans and they deserve to be paid well." That was met with a neutral and professional tone by Ms. Beisner, as she assured me that the league was working hard to do what is necessary for both sides. And as they moved on to the next fan of interest, I felt a slight relief and quickly realized that it isn't easy to spit out something of value with a national network camera in your face.

And as prophesized, the Commissioner did appear to the dedicated hundreds that spent the hours on their feet to personally watch the selection of this year's rookies. He spent a full hour making his way down the line in efforts to shake every hand of any fan that was interested. By the time he got to my spot his fingers on one hand were covered in permanent marker and yet he had no issue signing my Kansas City hat when requested, while also posing for a picture. And with the previous response in mind from my answer to Michelle Beisner's question earlier, I merely said to Mr. Goodell, "Good luck with the CBA process." It simply felt more appropriate at the moment.

The actual Draft went on without a hitch and just as last year there seemed to be a little magic in the air. And when the Commissioner approached the podium to announce the opening of the 2011 Draft, he was met with a few cheers, many understandable boo's, and a joint cadence of "We want football!" Yet, the Draft kicked off without delay and the anticipation of each selection kept the drama thick; and the unique responses from each teams' fans as their picks were made or traded delivered a sports' geeks version of a night time soap opera... and we're all hanging on to see how the cliffhanger turns out!

1 comment:

RavensBlogger said...

I think the draft went smooth but it was unfair what the Bears did in round 1 to cause the Baltimore Ravens to move back to 27th instead of 26th.


Ravens Blogger